Mincemeat Strudel with Pear and Dark Chocolate Recipe
1 jar (approx 411g / 14 ozs) dark chocolate mincemeat
2 peeled pears, chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) grated lemon rind
6 sheets filo pastry
100g (4 ozs) butter, melted (approx)
50g (2 ozs) fine dry bread crumbs
Icing sugar for dusting
- Place mincemeat in bowl and mix with pears and lemon rind; cover & set aside.
- Place 1 sheet of filo pastry on a damp tea towel. Cover remaining filo with a damp cloth. Brush filo pastry with some of the butter; sprinkle with approx 15ml (1 tbsp) bread crumbs.
- Layer remaining filo pastry, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with remaining bread crumbs.
- Starting about 2 inches (5 cm) from one long edge of pastry, spoon the mincemeat mixture lengthwise down pastry in an 8 cm (3-inch) wide strip, leaving a 5 cm (2-inch) border of pastry at each short end.
- Starting at the long edge nearest filling, carefully begin to roll the filo over the filling. Fold in the short edges as you roll.
- Carefully roll up the strudel fairly firmly. Carefully place strudel seam side down on greased baking sheet. Brush with butter.
- Cut 7 slits in top. Bake at 200°C / fan 180°C / Gas Mark 6 for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar