In honour of GBBO’s dessert week we present a scrumptious trifle with a syllabub topping! Just like Granny used to make, this one is strictly for the grown-ups.
Serves 6 – 8 people.
Prep time: 30 minutes – 1 hour
For the trifle:
- 1 packet trifle sponges, broken into 5c. pieces
- Half packet of of amaretti biscuits or 150g of macaroons
- 150ml sweet sherry
- 1 tbsp cognac
- 4 tbsp Duerr’s raspberry jam
- 450g fresh blackberries
- 450g fresh raspberries
- 85g toasted flaked almonds
- 600ml ready-made custard (we won’t tell anyone!)
- For the syllabub topping:
- 125ml sherry
- 2 tbsp brandy … told you it was for the adults!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 55g caster sugar
- 425ml double cream
- nutmeg, grated
- To garnish
- Zest of two oranges
- 85g flaked almonds
- Lay the sponge pieces and biscuits on on the base of a deep serving dish. Spoon over the sherry and cognac and leave to soak in for a few minutes.
- Warm the jam in a pan over a low heat until it is runny. Pour over the soaked sponge and biscuits. Sprinkle the fruit and flaked almonds on top and then pour over the custard.
- Make the syllabub topping: place the sherry, brandy and lemon juice into a bowl and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Pour in the cream with a pinch of nutmeg. Whisk using a wire balloon whisk until the mixture its shape. Don’t over-whisk as the cream may split.
- Spoon the syllabub over the trifle and store in the fridge until ready to serve, preferably overnight.
- Just before serving, adorn the pud with the grated orange rind and flaked toasted almonds.