Fruity Beef Casserole Recipe
A fruity beef casserole using Duerr’s rich blackcurrant jam to add a deep fruity flavour to a hearty dish.
Duerr’s Blackcurrant Jam
2 tbsp olive oil
1 kg lean stewing beef, diced
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 heaped tbs plain flour
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 lemon, zested plus 1 tbs juice
375 ml beef stock
1/2 cup blackcurrant jam
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Creamy mashed potato, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add the beef, in batches, and cook until browned all over.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Add the carrot, garlic, tomato paste, flour and chilli powder.
- Stir to combine and cook for a further minute.
- Add the lemon rind and lemon juice, beef stock and blackcurrant jam (the liquid needs to just cover the meat so add a little water if necessary).
- Season well with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then place in the preheated oven and cook covered for 2 hours until the beef is tender.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve with some creamy mashed potato.