Coconut and Jam Slice Recipe
One of our all-time favourites – the sweet jam complements the crisp coconut topping and flaky pastry base perfectly. A match made in dessert heaven.
225g plain four
100g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 tbs cold water
300g Duerr’s Blackcurrant or Raspberry jam (or 150g of each)
350g desiccated coconut
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
100g unsalted butter, melted
50g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan, 180°C conventional, Gas mark 4
- Make the pastry by placing the flour salt and butter in a food processor and process on high for a minute or so until the butter is chopped finely and well distributed. Keeping the motor going, drizzle in the cold water until well mixed. Turn off the machine and remove the blade. Gently press the mixture together without kneading and roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins. Alternatively make the pastry by hand – using your fingers to rub the butter into the flour and salt then adding the water.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Weigh the coconut and sugar into a large bowl, add the eggs and mix well, then stir in the melted butter. Gently fold in the flour then stir in the milk.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle to fit a swiss roll tin or large baking sheet. Trim the edges then gently prick all over with a fork. Bake for 8-10 mins until just beginning to turn light golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Spread the jam over the pastry (if using two flavours, spread half with raspberry and half with blackcurrant). Carefully place spoonfuls of the coconut mixture over the top of the jam, spreading it out and smoothing the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into slices.