Mini Victoria Sponge Recipe
Little drops of baking heaven! Bite-sized Victoria sponges that are lovely for parties and ‘just because’ days. This recipe should make you 24 sponge drops – just make sure you do them justice and be generous with your jam.
100g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp cocoa powder
200ml fresh cream, whipped
4tbsp Duerr’s Strawberry jam
4tbsp Duerr’s Blackcurrant jam
Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C fan/ 180˚C conventional.
- Weigh the butter, sugar and flour into a large mixing bowl and add the eggs. Beat with an electric whisk for 2 – 3 minutes until well combined, light and fluffy.
- Spoon about half of the mixture into another bowl, sift over the cocoa powder and stir in gently with a metal spoon.
- Place small teaspoons of the plain mixture neatly onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper or parchment. You should be able to fit about 12 on each tray. Bake for about 5 minutes until just firm but springy to the touch. Repeat with the chocolate mixture. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream. When the sponge drops are completely cool, spoon or pipe a little cream onto half the drops, then add a blob of jam (blackcurrant on the chocolate sponge, strawberry on the plain).
- Place another sponge drop on top, dust with icing sugar and serve.